Download Mastering Photoshop for Web Designers easily in PDF format for free.
– Mastering Photoshop: Noise, Textures, Gradients and Rounded Rectangles
– Useful Photoshop Tips And Tricks for Photo Retouching
– Photo Retouching Tips and Tricks in Photoshop
– The Ultimate Guide to Cloning in Photoshop
– Designing for iPhone 4 Retina Display: Techniques and Workflow
– Mastering Photoshop: Pixel Perfection when Rotating, Pasting and Nudging
– Setting up Photoshop for Web and iPhone Development
– Compositing in Adobe Photoshop: Time-Saving Tips
– Mastering Photoshop: Unknown Tricks and Time-Savers
– Preparing Photoshop Files for Web Developers In Defense of Photoshop
When it comes to designing in Photoshop, there is a myriad of ways one could use to achieve a certain result. Designers use techniques they are most confident as well as comfortable with, which is great because it’s always useful to peek into the workflow of our colleagues and learn new design approaches. Creating great artwork without intimately knowing your tools is certainly possible, but the more you know, the more likely you are to work faster and with greater confidence.
This eBook contains 11 articles that cover useful techniques and tricks from experts such as retouching, cloning, compositing, obscure Photoshop timesavers and designing for iPhone. You may know some of them, but hopefully not all of them. The articles have been published on Smashing Magazine in 2010 and 2011 and they have been carefully edited and prepared for this eBook. We hope that you will find this eBook useful and valuable. We are looking forward to your feedback on Twitter and via email. Often, it’s the little details that turn a good layout into a great design; details such as subtle textures, shading and smooth shapes.
Photoshop contains a vast array of tools for embellishing a design, but choosing the right one isn’t always easy. Being the obsessive-compulsives that we are, we’ve conducted a huge range of experiments to determine the benefits and disadvantages of each technique. Here, then, is an obsessivecompulsive’s guide to some frequently used tools and techniques for Web and UI design in Photoshop.
Subtle noise or texture on UI elements can look great, but what’s the best way to add it? Our goal is to find the best method that maintains quality when scaled but that is also easy to implement and edit. To find out which is best, we’ll judge each method using the following criteria:
• Number of layers used: fewer is better.
• Ability to scale: if the document is resized, will the effect maintain its quality?
• Can the noise be on top of the Color and Gradient layer styles?
• Can the method be used with any texture, not just noise?